Different types of surrogacy services for our lovely couples.
Surrogacy is an arrangement between a woman to carry and deliver a baby/babies for another individual or couple who are unable to conceive. There are different types of surrogacy arrangement as per specifications of the intended parents and surrogate mothers. To save the money and have hassle-free surrogacy experience, it is good to make an informed decision.
The reasons for using a surrogate mother can be;
1. Missing or abnormal uterus in the female partner
2. Multiple failed in-vitro fertilization treatments.
3. Multiple pregnancy losses or due to unexplained medical conditions
4. Chronic health issues in a female partner which make it difficult to carry the pregnancy safely like thyroid, delicate heart conditions, drugs for mental health, high sugar level, etc.
5. For gay couples surrogacy is obvious.
A new would be parents who wish to complete their family via surrogacy process, has many questions like.
- What is surrogacy?
- What is surrogacy meaning/surrogacy definition?
- Different types of surrogacy?
What is surrogacy?
Surrogacy is an arrangement where a woman ( known as a surrogate mother) carries and give birth to the child of other childless couples or single male ( known as intended parents). The legal surrogacy agreement mostly supports surrogacy.
What is surrogacy meaning/surrogacy definition?
As mentioned above, surrogacy is a method of Assisted Reproduction Technology (ART) that helps would be parents to grow thier families with the help of a third party. The baby is biologically linked with the couple, however, carried to term and delivery by another woman, known as a gestational carrier.
What are the different types of surrogacy?
Being a complicated and lengthy procedure, surrogacy can be completed in several modes and can be adapted to everything from who’ll be genetically related to the child to what type of relationship intended parents and surrogates wish to have with each other.
The different kinds of surrogacy could be overwhelming when you are first learning about it. However, these actually help to ensure that parents and surrogates choose the sort of surrogacy agreement that is perfect for them.
Surrogacy isn’t one size fits for all, and a surrogacy professional may help you pick the surrogacy services that is just right for you based upon what you desire and expect from the surrogacy process.
For you to get familiar with the various surrogacy types and help you decide which is one better for you, we have clarified different surrogacy type below. Hopefully, it will help and guide you in choosing the right surrogacy process for you.
Types of Surrogacy based on Genetic Relationship of surrogate mother and surrogacy baby: Gestational vs.Traditional Surrogacy.
With regards to creating an embryo, the two main types of surrogacy to consider: traditional and gestational.
In this case, a surrogate mother is the only carrier of the baby but has no genetic link with the baby. Here, gametes of both biological parents are used for fertilization, and resulting embryos are placed in the uterus of the surrogate mother.
Gestational surrogacy is widely used and accepted among the Intended parent. This is because the intended parents feel secure and more in control of the surrogacy pregnancy as they are genetically linked with the baby.
- In gestational surrogacy, the supposed parents create an embryo with their very own egg and sperm or utilizing donated sperm or egg.
- Gestational surrogacy is more popularly and in trend from the last ten years.
Gestational surrogacy is more practices due to:
1. It enables both parents of a heterosexual couple to be biologically related to their baby.
2. It helps eliminate a number of the legal and emotional struggle which come with a surrogate being genetically related to the baby she is carrying.
Gestational Surrogacy is the right choice if the commissioning parent.
- When a female partner would like to use her eggs or wish to use an egg donor of their choice.
- In case intended parents want to be more in control of the surrogacy pregnancy.
- When biological parents are cautious of the legalities and emotions aspect of the surrogacy.
That is an arrangement where the surrogate mother is genetically linked with the baby, meaning, her gametes are used for fertilization. Most countries ban traditional surrogacy.
Traditional surrogacy is a challenging enterprise for the surrogate mother as she is not only a carrier of the baby but genetically link as well. It might make it difficult for her to give away the baby to another couple and can be emotionally painful for her.
Therefore, how can you tell which of those kinds that are surrogacy is right for you?
It is always best you consult with your surrogacy professional, but there are several reasons why individuals might choose a traditional or gestational surrogacy for them:
Traditional Surrogacy can be a good option for intended parents:
- When the surrogate is related to one of the intended parents, traditional surrogacy could offer a genetic link which wouldn’t be possible with a donated egg.
- If parents do not want to have an anonymous donor
- Are looking to cut the surrogacy cost.
- surrogacy without IVF possible, with home insemination kits.
Types of Surrogacy based on payment to the surrogate mother: Commercial surrogacy and Altruistic surrogacy.
Another factor that creates several types of surrogacy options is the compensation which a surrogate is compensated for carrying the intended parent’s baby.
When a surrogate is given a base payment for carrying the fetus, this is called compensated surrogacy.
That is a form of agreement in which a gestational carrier is paid to carry the full child to term in her womb. This kind of arrangement is legal in many countries.
Commercial surrogacy can be an option for the parents when:
- For parents and surrogates who do not know each other before the appropriate procedure.
- Both commissioning parents and surrogate mothers interests and rights are protected.
If a surrogate doesn’t receive any additional payments for carrying a baby, she’ll complete an altruistic surrogacy. In this surrogacy arrangement, the surrogate mother receives no financial benefit for her pregnancy.
Although, she is eligible to get expenses related to pregnancy care medical fee, clothing allowance and work off allowance. Since surrogates are unpaid, an altruistic surrogacy could help intended parents reduce their surrogacy cost.
Altruistic surrogacy can be an option for the intended parents:
- If surrogate state outlaws compensate surrogacy the intended parents may complete their surrogacy altruistically.
- For some parents and surrogates who’re buddies or members of the family, a compensated surrogacy is pointless; a surrogate will want to carry their infant due to the love between her and the parents.
Types of Surrogacy based on where surrogacy is carried out: Domestic surrogacy or international surrogacy.
In this type of surrogacy, the full surrogacy is carried out locally in the country of the intended parents. The surrogate mother is also based locally, may be in the same State of different State.
In countries like the USA, surrogacy is mostly legally allowed in many states. But due to high surrogacy cost, many couples are forced to opt for international surrogacy.
In International surrogacy, the commissioning parents travel outside their country to complete their surrogacy services.
Many nations have strict laws regulating this procedure, so dependant upon where you reside, If you live in another country, it is essential that you explore different nations laws regarding surrogacy before choosing to pursue a worldwide surrogacy.
There is numerous reason for choosing domestic or international surrogacy:
- Domestic Surrogacy can be a good option if your country lets surrogacy and regulates it correctly.
- Is often more economical and safer to complete.
- This kind of surrogacy allows parents and surrogates to meet, establish a connection and comfortably remain in contact throughout the entire surrogacy procedure.
- A domestic surrogacy eradicates the legal processes that happen with bringing a baby born overseas back in their parent’s nation.
International Surrogacy can be a good option for those parents:
- who reside in a nation which restricts or outlaws surrogacy.
- They can find and do international surrogacy in a country where surrogacy is legally regulated.
- If surrogacy cost in a cross-border surrogacy program is much less as compared to their country.
- Different types of surrogate available as per the country you choose as some countries like the surrogate mothers in Georiga and surrogate mothers in Ukraine have good pools of the gestational carrier.
Selecting the surrogacy process based on carrying out full surrogacy process with the help of a surrogacy agency or do it without the help of surrogacy professional:
When intended parents and surrogate mother do not know each other before matching, it is quite possible that they work with a trusted surrogacy agency or similar service to safely discover the perfect match.
Agency surrogacy can be a good option for the intended parents:
- For intended parents and surrogates who aren’t comfortable handling and taking charge of all the aspects of their surrogacy, a surrogacy agency or program will take the majority of the responsibility out of their hands.
- The surrogacy cost can be higher as you need to pay a surrogacy agency fee for their assistance.
Independent Surrogacy or Indy surrogacy
In Independent surrogacy or also known as Inday surrogacy. Intended parents find surrogate themselves, (usually a friend or family member), they may feel comfortable without the mediation services offered by a surrogacy agency. Because they will already be matched, they may need a surrogacy lawyer and fertility clinic to handle the legal and medical aspects of the surrogacy.
Independent surrogacy can be an option for the couples who:
- For intended parents who are looking to save money on their surrogacy. It is advised to opt for independent surrogacy may be the cheaper option between these two types of surrogacy.
- Someone who already had one or more baby via surrogacy, so they are more or less aware of the process and resources. Such experienced parents might feel confident to do everything themselves.
Types of Surrogacy option based on the type of intended parents.
Single parents surrogacy
In this type of surrogacy services, the intended parent is a single parent. There are few countries which allow only married couples to do surrogacy. That is why you need to consult with your surrogacy agency to know all possible options for you.
When the intended parents are in same-sex couples, this is known as LGBT surrogacy. Several surrogate mothers preferably like to work with gay couples. As far as gay couple surrogacy is concerned, there are only a few countries which allowed gay surrogacy like –Surrogacy in the USA and surrogacy in Colombia.
Hetero couple surrogacy
In this case, intended or commissioning parents are married hetero couples. There are much cost-effective and legal surrogacy destinations for them like surrogacy in Ukraine and surrogacy in Georgia. There are many surrogate options available to them.
It goes without saying that your surrogacy process will be as per your unique situation. You are the right person to know what is the best options for you before moving ahead.
Before shortlisting your surrogacy process, it is good to speak to a reputable surrogacy agency or surrogacy consultant. Knowing options with pros and cons can help you make an informed decision.
Since 2010, we are assisting intended parents in their surrogacy journey. We will be happy to guide and support you in your parenthood journey.