How much does surrogacy cost in USA?
The surrogacy cost in USA varies from state to state.
The average cost of surrogacy in the USA range from $95,000 to $150,000 depending on the specific surrogacy arrangements. Just an example, in states like California, the cost of surrogacy is slightly higher due to higher surrogate mothers demand.
Legal requirements and fee of medical procedure also vary from state to state. However, the cost of surrogacy doesn’t fluctuate significantly between major metropolitan cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago.
Costs involved in a typical USA surrogacy arrangement are:
Surrogate mother compensation
The base compensation for first-time surrogates in the United States is $35,000+.
It is typically paid in monthly instalments of around $2,500-3,000 per month, starting on the first month after the fetal heartbeat. Gestational carriers from California, Nevada, Illinois, Colorado, and Maryland are in high demand.
2. Medical procedures like IVF- ICSI
The cost of one IVF Cycle can be around $20,000+. Sometimes more than one IVF cycle may be needed so expected medical fee can go much higher.
3. Screening costs for the surrogate mother
It can be paid separately for each screening or can be paid a low upfront fee for all the selection.
Psychological screening: Avg. $1,000
Criminal background investigation: Avg. $500
Medical screening cost varies case wise.
4. Attorney & legal fees
As legality is an important factor in USA surrogacy arrangement, so drafting a gestational surrogacy agreement is mandatory.
The cost of obtaining a draft of the gestational surrogacy contract for the Intended Parents can be around between $2,000 and $3,000. The fee for the establishment of parentage is the most expensive part of the legal process, averaging up to $7,000.
An escrow account manager, which can cost up to $1,000 to $2,000
5. Surrogate insurance coverage
Some insurance agencies cover surrogate, and some don’t, but even those who do, will cover only part of it. The cost of insurance coverage ranges from $10,000 to $16,000.
USA surrogacy cost estimates:
The full surrogacy cost in the USA can be overwhelming. As each case has its unique requirements so the total accurate fee can vary.
The Intended Parents need to be prepared for hidden cost as well. Although many couples can afford high-end USA surrogacy arrangement, not all. For the perspective who wish to do surrogacy but unable to provide high surrogacy cost in the USA, other low costs and more affordable option in Europe are available.
The cost of surrogacy in the US is perhaps the highest in the world due to:
- The Fertility clinics in the US are considered to be the best and most expensive in the world having the most advanced IVF and fertility solutions. Most of them house well-trained specialists having an excellent track record. The surrogates maintain the best standards of mental and physical health. The cost of one IVF Cycle in the USA is as high as $25,000. On the other hand, in European IVF Clinics offer same quality with IVF cost is as low as $5,000. Read more about Guarantee baby surrogacy program.
- The success rates in IVF clinics are the highest in the world. The credit goes to the advanced medical system and expertise of specialists. Using an egg donor, 85% of embryo transfers result in successful pregnancies. That is appreciably high compared to the 55%-75% success rates of overseas clinics.
- The fertility clinics are mandated by law to submit the results of IVF and embryo transfer procedures to the Center for Disease Control who releases clinic rankings based on it. The intended parents can choose the best clinic for surrogacy program which affects the cost of surrogacy in the US. These mean additional administrative work and which lead to the extra cost of IVF for parents.
- Surrogate mother cost in usa is relatively high varying between $30,000 and $60,000 which significantly contributes to the cost of surrogacy in the US. In states where surrogacy is highly demanded, the surrogate compensation may be $10,000-$15,000 higher compared to others.
- Adequate legal protection is given to the surrogate mother and intended parents. This means it is mandatory to draft surrogacy agreements for each case by the experienced family attorney. The legal fee for assisting the surrogacy process is much more than any other country,
How does the high cost of surrogacy in US can be managed?
Yes, to some extent hopeful parents can work on to reduce the high surrogacy cost in USA. These two methods can be recommended for IPs to manage cost.
Independent surrogacy or Indy Surrogacy
In independent programs, the intended parents directly coordinate with the surrogate mother and IVF clinic without the help of a surrogacy agency. No surrogacy agency involvement means no surrogacy agency fee is needed. So parents can save up to $20,000-$30,000 in the overall cost.
Surrogacy cost with a friend
To put simply, the major part of surrogacy cost goes for surrogate mother compensation. So, one of the most obvious way to reduce overall surrogate cost is to use a friend or relative as a gestational carrier. It does not take too much calculation to know that surrogacy cost with a friend is much lower.
How much surrogate Mother cost for twins?
Out of five confirmed pregnancy from IVF, one can be twins. This means the chances of having a twin is more in IVF as compared to natural pregnancy. If a surrogate is carrying twins, she is eligible to get extra payment of $5000 + for additional discomfort she has. In case parent wishes to avoid twins, they can ask their fertility expert to transfer only one blastocyst in surrogate mother.
Miscellaneous surrogacy cost that needs to take into consideration while working with a surrogate mother in the USA.
There may be add-on fees to ensure hassle free return of the couple with the baby —
- The cost of a DNA test.
- Legal fee if a court order is required for the legalization process, a legal fee has to be paid.
- Twins baby expense like extra medical care for twins and additional surrogate mother compensation.
Many programs do not include charges for egg donors, hotel accommodations, airfares, country-wise legal formalities and any unforeseen medical events related to the surrogate and the child.
Conclusion for surrogacy price in US:
We always aim to find new ways to help ease any part of the surrogacy process. That is why we do offer most affordable surrogacy services in the USA with our local partner in LA.
To give our intended parents opportunities to reduce financial stress and provide an affordable surrogacy program, we can offer international surrogacy services. Our guarantee surrogacy baby plan in Georiga and Ukraine cost @60,000 USD for hetero couples.
For singles, we have a new but most reliable low-cost surrogacy option in Latin American country. Surrogacy in Cambodia is an excellent solution for affordable yet legally secure surrogacy option for gay couples.