Gay surrogacy guide so that our lovely couples can make an informed decision.
The desire to nurture and care for a child is natural for all humans, regardless of their choices in personal life. Sexual orientation and marital status are frequently considered limitations for intending parents. However, to get started, it is advised to have a comprehensive checklist, which primarily emphasizes gay surrogacy guide.
Although parenthood via surrogacy (especially cross-border surrogacy) is complicated and financially draining, for gay men, it is a bit more challenging as they have limited legally viable options with the staggering surrogacy cost associated.
Nowadays, surrogacy is more common for gay couples than it used to be a few years back. The option of surrogacy has made it possible for LGBT couples to have thier own family. So, gay surrogacy can be a complicated but thrilling way to build families. Gay men wish to have a baby through surrogacy need to consider additional factors like egg donor cost, working with gay-supportive surrogacy professional etc.
But with the help of a professional surrogacy provider, you will be able to complete your surrogacy process with much ease. You may find answers to all those questions in this article.
Below are a few challenges for gay men wish to have baby via a surrogacy arrangement.
- Their surrogacy options are less and getting closing each passing day., Most of the surrogacy market is locking for Gay couples due to ethical reason and due to the overall closing of surrogacy in third world countries. So, they have less option to pursue surrogacy journey.
- Egg Donors requirement- To achieve parenthood, gay couples need an egg donor. An egg donor can be a friend or family member or anonymous egg donors. The bottom line is baby will be half biologically linked with any one of them.
- Not all IVF Clinics offer IVF/Surrogacy Services to LGBT parents. They need to find an IVF Clinic or surrogacy agency that is open to working with gay men. IVF clinics and surrogacy agencies work closely together and will often be able to refer you back and forth to each other.
- Finding a surrogate mother who is passionate and open to become a gestational carrier for gay surrogacy.
- Gay surrogacy costs- If you are a couple, decide who will provide the sperm. One partner may produce all the sperm, or a couple may choose to divide the eggs and have half fertilized by each partner. In this case, one embryo from each partner would be implanted into the gestational carrier. Anyone providing sperm will need a physical exam, medical history, and sperm analysis. So, due to extra medical procedure, needed for both parents, the overall gay surrogacy costs can be higher.
- Name on Baby Birth Certificate- In most countries name of the only biological father and surrogate mother comes in the baby birth certificate. That is why it is a challenge for them to put the names of both parents in the baby birth certificate. It is only a few states of USA (California), which offer legally viable surrogacy option for gay men with both parent’s name on the baby birth certificate.
- Extra documentation/legal work needed to get the full parentage of the baby.
Meanwhile, here is a comprehensive Gay Couples Guide for the gay surrogacy process
Personal consideration for gay parenting via surrogacy
- Do you need a surrogacy route to achieve parenthood? For gay couples, it is evident as they do not have many options. However, if you are heterosexual couples, it is good to consult a fertility specialist to make sure surrogacy is the only option for you.
- Do you have emotional/family support around you to depend upon? Caring for a newborn is one of the demanding jobs, not to forget first sleepless nights!
- Will you be open to telling your child(ren) how they got conceived? Meeting surrogate mother/egg donor can be on your agenda, whenever it happens. Have you discussed this with your gestational carrier /donor agency?
- Many IPs wish to use their eggs, or their friend or family person instead of an anonymous egg donor or travelling egg donors. Do consider this option. If you want to use your egg donor, make sure to sign an agreement or discuss in advance about the legal aspect.
- Have you fully understood the most likely surrogacy costs? Ask for surrogacy cost list with a breakdown of each fee. What is added fee, if an egg donor is needed?
- Consider other unavoidable surrogacy costs like – legal advice, surrogate matching, travel, transport & storage of genetic material, surrogate compensation, surrogate medical expenses, IVF – including embryo transfers, surrogate health insurance.
- Sometimes it takes one embryos transfer to be successful, but not always. So, make sure if first embryos transfer not successful, what is an additional procedure needed and what are likely cost. Be prepared to have at least 1-3 attempts. Setting the right expectation helps.
Keep 10% of total cost aside, to cover hidden incidental costs like Twins pregnancy, premature delivery, etc. Always ask for a price list with a clear breakdown of the cost and what all is included and at what stages you need to pay and for what.
Legal Consideration for LGBT surrogacy seekers
- Do surrogacy laws in your country allow you to engage in surrogacy at home and abroad? This is one of the most viable factors to consider while opting surrogacy. If your State does not permit same-sex surrogacy, what other option do you have? If you are looking for cross-order surrogacy or international surrogacy, do in-depth study about the parents right especially if they are same-sex couples.
- Have you engaged with other successful parents who already have completed their parenthood journey via surrogacy? It is good to consider the first-hand experience of those who already travelled the path you are considering.
- For your/your partner’s country of citizenship, is there an established process for granting citizenship to a child born through surrogacy? It goes not hurt to contact your country embassy; they provide a piece of unbiased information.
- Contact a local family lawyer in your country to understand the legal aspect of surrogacy in your country.
- If considering overseas surrogacy option, do you understand the amount of time you will need to be away from home/ work for travel, documentation, infant care, and exit processes?
Medical Consideration for gay surrogacy
- Do consider and confirm the success rate of embryo transfer in a surrogate mother with/without egg donor?
- If you need PGD- this facility is available in IVF Clinic and what is added cost to rule out any genetic disease or to choose the gender of the baby.
- Is there any law for several embryos can be transferred in a lady? In case you wish to have twins, how they can maximize this?
- Have you understood the potential health risks of twin pregnancies for any children that result?
- What is IVF clinic consideration when choosing a surrogate mother? It is good to choose someone who has at least one baby of their own and psychologically prepared to give baby without any emotional baggage.
- Ask for a brief overview of pre-natal care for the surrogate How frequently you will receive an update about her process, scans, necessary marker tests, or her pics of growing belly.
- Discuss your surrogate baby delivery options- Which hospital and how much it is going to cost.
Surrogacy Agency Consideration for LGBT couples seeking surrogacy
- How long have they been in business? It is wise to choose an agency which has at least five years of experience as they already have successful baby birth and exit so already know the level of complication involved and how to handle the unseen situation.
- How many cases they have done- especially for your country citizens as it will help you to understand how efficient they are with baby exit process for your specific situation.
- What type of medical/emotional/ psychosocial checks and support is given to surrogate before, during, and after the surrogacy program?
- How do they take surrogacy payments and what stages?
- If using a gestational carrier from your own country/another country, have you had sufficient discussion to ensure you are ‘on the same page’ in regards the arrangement and what level of contact she wants during/after the pregnancy?
- How smoothly surrogacy agency and IVF Clinic coordinate with each other as they should work as an integral team.
- Do you have 24- hour emergency support? How readily are they available to you?
- With their communication pattern, try to understand, if they are gladly assisting and taking time and effort to get back to you?
- Are they quick and transparent with communication? Are you feeling connected with them and intuitively feel their genuineness? The surrogacy process can take 1-2 years, so, you will be having a lot of conversations and become an integral part of each other life. Develop trust and compassion for each other.
Conclusion for gay surrogacy guide
At IVF Conceptions, parenthood is celebrated irrespective of all conventions. With the growing acceptance of single parents and LGBT parents, we have already helped many Gay couples embrace parenthood. We can do the same for you. We work with all gay surrogacy countries to offer best surrogacy plan for same-sex surrogacy.
- For gay couples, we can advise having surrogacy in the USA in State where same-sex surrogacy is legally allowed. This option is good for someone who does not have financial constraints and pays high surrogacy cost of USA.
- But if you are gay couples and looking for an affordable surrogacy cost but the legally secure option, we can advise you surrogacy in Colombia. Guarantee surrogacy baby for gay couples in Colombia $64,000
- Gay surrogacy in Laos – In Asian surrogacy is not legally secure due to Surrogacy ban from most of the countries. In Laos, there are not surrogacy laws, and the absence of laws, make it possible. The surrogacy cost with IVF, egg donor and surrogacy is around $60,000
If you are a gay couple looking for a surrogate mother, we can help.
Are you planning to start your surrogacy process? If you are in same-sex relations and looking to become the parent, we are here to help you with complete gay surrogacy guide and support! Get in touch now to get the most affordable yet trusted surrogacy, worldwide.