Sometime to facilitate the better outcome of ART treatment, some surgically invasive procedure is needed. Not all ART treatment requires surgical procedure. One of most commonly used surgical process is Hysteroscopy
Hysteroscopy is a procedure that allows fertility specialist to look inside the uterus in order to diagnose and treat causes of abnormal bleeding and sometime just to evaluate the uterus lining to see all is well before proceeding with IVF. This is known as diagnostic Hysteroscopy. Hysteroscopy is done using a hysteroscope, a thin, flexible, lighted tube that is inserted into the vagina to examine the cervix and inside of the uterus.
Operative Hysteroscopy– In some cases, hysteroscopy is more invasive and beside looking into uterus it consists of other purpose. One of such process is Dilation and Curettage (D&C) with Hysteroscopy. Dilation and curettage with hysteroscopy is a procedure where the lining of the uterus is removed for tissue analysis. Hysteroscopy is done with using a small probe with a camera attached so doctors can examine the inside of the uterus.
The reason of doing hysteroscopy are as below-
- To find the cause of severe cramping or abnormal bleeding. Sometime doctor can pass heated tools through the hysteroscope to stop the bleeding, in sever case.
- To see if a problem in the shape or size of the uterus or if scar tissue in the uterus. This is done to diagnosis of cause of infertility.
- To go through the uterine openings to the fallopian tubes. In case if these tubes are blocked, doctor may be able to open the tubes with special tools passed through the hysteroscope.
- To find the would be cause of repeated miscarriages.
- To remove the intrauterine devices (IUD)
- To rule out small fibroids or polyps and to remove them.
- To check our endometrium cancer and uterus tuberculosis.
- To remove problem areas in the lining of the uterus and this is known as endometrial ablation.
- To put a contraceptive implant into the opening of the fallopian tubes as a method of permanent sterilization.
Benefits of Hysteroscopy
- Shorter hospital stay
- Shorter recovery time
- Less pain medication needed after surgery
- Avoidance of hysterectomy