The two-week wait is the time period between the end of IVF Cycle and a blood test called Beta Hcg (human chorionic Gonadotropin). This test is done to determine whether a successful pregnancy is achieved or not. This test is generally done 2 weeks after the embryo transfer.
As we know infertility treatments, especially IVF is already straining in many ways, but waiting for result of IVF cycle, can be potentially more difficult as well, due to fear of unknown and anticipation of success. This is the time when our mind wonders a lot and becomes super responsive to every small change in our body. After pretty hectic infertility treatment with daily injections, blood tests, scans and alternate doctor visits, this two weeks time can be considerably quite and give you right prospective to think clearly.
You can make the two-week wait more emotionally rewarding experience with few simple tips, hopefully these will help you to put your mind in ease-as much as possible:
1. Stop worrying about outcome: Even you will agree that stressing about outcome of fertility treatments is not going to improve your chance of success. So, let’s be positive and focus your time and energy toward perusing a hobby, reading a good book, or spending more time with your spouse.
2. Avoid taking home pregnancy test: As any other fertility seeker you will be dying to know the result of treatment, but it is advisable to avoid home pregnancy test till the time your fertility specialist order it. There are great chances you will end up doing it earlier and can have false positive due to underlying hCG trigger or false negative due to low hcg level in blood which is unrecognizable in urine test. These false results can add undue stress and anxiety later on.
3. Pay attention to hyper stimulation symptoms: In case you feel excessive bloating, lower abdominal pain, or excessive fluid in your abdominal civility, contact your doctor immediately. These can be symptoms of ovarian hyperstimulation.
4. Do not obsess too much with Pregnancy symptoms: With so many hormones getting into your systems, it is usual to have sensitive breasts, nausea, cramping, and fatigue; these symptoms are enough to make you feel you are pregnant! But the truth is, with all these symptoms, you cannot be pregnant and in fact sometime with absence of these symptoms, you can be pregnant. Pregnancy symptoms can be attributed to side effects of progesterone supplementation and even the IVF cycle itself. So, try not to obsess too much. Although it is easy to say than done, still try to do not go overboard!
5. Take your medication: After IVF, your doctor would put you on progesterone supplement to make favorable environment for embryos implantation. These supplement can be taken orally, vaginally or sometime in injectible form. Do not stop medications without consulting your doctor. Sometime even if you get your menses, it is possible that you can be having a developing fetus inside.
6. Continue your routine day-to-day activities: Your doctor would advise you to take 3-5 days rest and restrain you from strenuous physical activities as well as sexual activities. After this you can resume light exercise, moderate walking and swimming.
7. Take nutritional food: Although no special diet is recommended after fertility treatment but as there might be a chances you are already pregnant, so take balance diet along with prenatal vitamins. Your doctor can suggest you to avoid alcohol, smoking and coffee as all these can have adverse effect on developing fetus.
8. Consult your doctor: As always, your doctor is the first source of information for you. If you feel something is not right or you have any question, contact your doctor.